Skip to main content

Staying true to you, embroidered bowl!

Staying true to you, embroidered bowl!


I’ve been soul searching of late….i love creating using fabrics but I find trying to make a living at it extremely hard going.
I recently hired a stall for a week and found out the hard way that trying to sell items that people can buy in the shops is soul destroying.
So what do you like to make, I asked myself?!  I like creating fabric the most. I am happiest if I am dyeing, sewing crazy patchwork, free machine embroidery, hand embroidering and embellishing fabrics.
Well do that then!
So along came my idea for a free machine embroidered bowl.
I rooted out my stash of thick washaway film and loaded it up with thread and fabric waste (!) with a few leaf shaped pieces of hand felted felt.
 










Then ontop a layer of gold fabric mesh.  This then was hooped ready for leaves to be free machine embroidered on to. 






 

 




You have to go over your sewing lines several times as they will not hold the shape once the washaway film has been wetted out.
 













I usually go over board at this stage as I find it very hypnotic and soothing!  So I was strict with myself and stopped.
I ran the hot water into the sink with the plug in and slipped the embroidery in.  I use hotter water as this film is thick.
I then placed it over an upside down bowl using it as a mould.  As I’m smoothing it over I am thinking I don’t like this but I couldn’t put my finger on why.  Anyway leave it to dry.


 
 
 
 
 





When it was dry I really didn’t like it!  OK not to worry it can be saved….i re-wet it and left it to dry flat.  So what is wrong what can I do to bring this back…how about adding more embroidery? How about adding fabric?  How about just putting it your sample sketchbook! 

As you can see I added some hand felted leaf shapes.


To make it easier to add the fabric and embroider on top I sandwiched it between some more washaway film.  The bowl would also need more of the film as it acts like a glue too.  The film allows the shape to fix into the shape of the mould when wet and left to dry.
 
 
 
 
 
The pictures below shows the embroidery drying on the mould.
 
And now I have to wait until it’s bone dry to work some hand embroidery and perhaps some beads.
 
 
And I have to stop myself from fiddling with it!
 
More pictures completing it.....mind i'll never be rich at this work rate!!!
 
 
 
Thanks for reading. 
I am hoping for some comments!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Try, try, try again! C&G Hand Embroidery course!

Hi So here I am again...so much life in between ... I am having another go at the SST Hand Embroidery course! I am hopeful to complete this time round. I haven’t stood still in my Textiles love! Here’s just some of my recent projects... My Cloth Doll making..... Notebook covers..... A Stumpwork story.....my story of an adventurous lad I used to tell my daughter when she was little! So above you see Keal and his Grandad who's ill but was the quest adventurer....he has a quest laid unsolved.... This page is nearly complete...just need to add something to the wall behind Keal...but I know not what at the moment... This will be the front cover of the Story Book (horizontally!) Another of the stories pages...a forest scene and a hidden gem for Keal to find to help solve the quest. The Introduction page, also explains the picture with Keal and his Grandfather in bed! Over to  https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/FibreD...

Is ma hair alright?!

More City & Guilds Module snippets!

The course with the The School of Stitched Textiles  really allowed me to move out of the comfort zone. You know the course is so varied in content there is no room to get complacent. For instance this print below.  The brief was use an artist style to design a Print.  This stops you, it did in my case (!), from falling into the designs you usually come up with. I used Paul Klee's Full Moon (1919).  I did manage to make the stencil achieve a border repeat and made a Lino cut stamp for the tree.  Fun and challenging! Another, Module 7, had us making beads, buttons, tassels, braids and edgings to fabric panels...loads! I personally love these  fabric bell tassels on hand made cord.  I believe the design comes from India... Here's some of the other tassels that were the least unwieldy to fit into my Module 7 Sample fabric book! This is a Lantern!  The base fabric is Organdie.  Fun was had researching into the best fabric stiffener because i have...